Monday, January 26, 2009

May the Force be with You



Yoda the cat is sick. She isn't quite 900, but at almost 17, we think, it's probably pretty close in cat years.

She's always the canary in the coal mine whereas the sandbox is concerned, but even so, in the almost 5 years that I have known her, she has intentionally peed outside the box maybe 3 times. Well, make that 4 or 5. Last week, the box was bad, but the downstairs family room smelled horrible. So I let my nose do the walking and found 3 huge puddles of neon yellow, thick pee right in the spot where the girls run. This is classic Yoda. She usually will pick a spot where we will find it, although it's usually by Chris's things.

Anyway, I cleaned it up with all the special stink no more stuff, but I could still smell it, almost stronger. Moving some toys and heading west, I found it in the girls' play tunnel. Suffice it to say that if you were looking for a present for them, a new tunnel would be a good thing as the existing one is toast.

So why, do you ask, do I think it's Yods and not one of the other 3? Well, the a fore mentioned canary bit, and then a wholy cat behavior that I witnessed yesterday have pretty much sealed it. If any of you have had cats, especially more than one at a time, and one is sick or weaker, the dominant ones will shun it. In our brood, Frank is the alpha. So yesterday, the girls and I are in the basement playing and Yoda comes limping over (she's got some arthritis, probably from when she fell off the deck a few years ago). At the same time, Frank walked past and loudly hissed at her. Now Frank is not a hisser. I have only heard him hiss at Guiseppi when he is really ticking Frank off, or, back in the day when I had Lily and he felt she was the weakes link.

So she goes in tonight for the once over. Keep her in your thoughts. 16 is really old for a kitty and Yoda is a pretty special one. May the force be with you, Yods.

No comments: