Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Getting My Polish On

So St. Nicholas Day is fast approaching. As a kid, I could always expect a brown manila envelope from Calumet City filled with little trinkets and a few dollars in honor of the saint, a tradition my mom continues to keep. For those of you who don't know, St. Nicholas Day is December 6 and is the saint's birthday. He is model for our American Santa Claus. On the 6th, boys and girls leave out their shoes and their list of Christmas wants. They also leave a treat for him, often a cookie in his likeness (speculaas) or, in Poland, pierniki, which are kind of like gingerbread. Then the saint gives the good boys and girls a small gift, like an orange and something like a stocking-stuffer.

I decided this year that I should start this with the girls. So I mentioned it to Abbie yesterday about the tradition of putting out their shoes and she looked at me, horrified. "Really?!? I don't think eating an orange that's been in my shoes sounds very appetizing."

So on that note, I leave you with the very best story about St. Nicholas ever. Until next time, kiree-a-kee.

Find more artists like David Sedaris at Myspace Music

No comments: