Sunday, October 5, 2008

Slow Down, You Move Too Fast!!

Oh dear readers, the wheels of change are rolling fast. My old road is rapidly changing and I should get out of the new one if I can't lend a hand cuz the times they are a changin. Okay, I will stop with the 60s song lyrics, but life is changing here at Casa de Gato y Ninas. Too fast for my tastes!

My dear readers, Abigail has started the ball rolling with a huge milestone. She figured out how to climb out of her crib tonight. To be fair to her, she's been working on it for about 3 months, but this time, she was successful, to some extent. I say this as I intervened before she hit the ground, literally. I was in the bathroom and heard what I thought was her gearing up to scream. It's a very distinct Abigail noise that is the vocal equivalent of a pitcher winding up for a fast ball. Even though Eleanor was clearly not asleep, I quickly scooted in to try and nip the crying jag in the bud. Since I was going from the bright bathroom to the dark room, I was pretty much blind, but could tell from her noises that she was standing, so I moved toward the sound, expecting to run into the crib rails. Instead, I ran into her body!! I felt her second leg fall off the top of the rail and grabbed her under the arms just as she was about to drop to the ground and certain head trauma. Sniff, sniff. My babies aren't babies any more!

As I said, she's been working on this for a while, so we have been reading up on it. I remember reading a message board discussion where a mom was contemplating toddler beds as her little one was going AWOL from the Infant State Penetentiary at
13 month old. Her question for the audience was, "Isn't she too young for this?" to which one person replied, "Clearly the answer is no. You may not be ready for her to graduate to a big girl bed, but she is." I remember thinking how harsh but how true that comment was, not just in reference to the bedding situation. So many times have the girls done something when I wasn't ready to hit that milestone yet. They did it with crawling, teeth, walking, and talking, just to name a few. I am sure the Great Bed Migration of 2008 won't be the last time that the Bear and Monkey leave Mom and Dad bewildered and in their dust. So before I get too sappy and nostalgic on y'all, I'll leave you with a good song that talks about looking back. Please note the section after the weird little Robin/Kermit conversation-it made me tear up:

So that was my evening. Just another day under the Big Top, I guess. Stay tuned for our next installment where Eleanor, not to be outdone by Sister, gets a job and goes off to college at 19 months. Until then, courage.

No comments: